St. John of Baptist church is located outside the city walls, built in 1312. After that Brotherhood of St. John was founded, who were the owners. The donator was Vrbnik priest Damjan. Because of increase of inhabitants and expansion of the Brotherhood, the church was enlarged in 1611 which is confirmed by the Glagolitic-script inscription in the apses: This chapel was built by masters Bartol Vlahovic in 1611”. At that time the semicircular apses was torn down and the church was enlarged at its east part, which can be seen from the type of rocks which are pointing. In 1808 by the order of French authority Brotherhood of St. John was cancelled, and the church became property of the Vrbnik Municipality and served as mortuary.
St John Church is a rectangular with porch with lower roof covered with tiles. Nave wall is made of stone, coated with mortar at its upper part, and on its each side it has one window axis with semicircular end. At the second half, where apses part of the church begins, the church becomes narrower. The apses has at its sides one window axis. This part is built pointing rocks. The roof is double level, covered with tiles. At the gable there is the belfry resembling wheel. The portal is rectangular with stone frame.
Inside the church has one nave, separated from the apses with triumphal stone arch. The apses has rib arch, with ribs leaning on consoles. There is brick floor and naval ceiling wooden.
Ruins of St. George Church is located in Mountain Channel at the cave of the same name. It is single-naval, not double covered small church of Roman ground plan with semicircular apses. From the inside of the east, south and west wall there are remains of multicolor cycles of wall paintings, with relatively conserved image of St. George at the east wall, and drawing of the sailboat on the south wall. Drawing of St. George, besides the drawing of the sailboat, is the only wall picture of such image on the North Adriatic region and one of the rarest along the Adriatic coast.
According to historical and comparative records, including building technique and pictures, it can be concluded that it was built and painted in 7th or 8th century. It is assumed that Krk dukes, leather Frankopans ordered its building.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.