Mother of God of Carmel
from the church
Ledenice is situated by the road leading from Novi to Ogulin. The parish church of Mother of God of Carmel is situated in the centre of the settlement. It was restored in 1909. according to the project of V. Rauscher. The church has a baroque wood-carved altar dating from the 17th ct. and also mass appliances, a reliquary and a monstrance from the 15th ct., which belonged to the inventory of the church of St.Stephen on Gradina (the castle).
The rocky hill at the south-eastern outskirts of the principality of Vinodol bears the ruins of a mediaeval fortified town with semi-circular towers. It is first mentioned in 1248., and forty years later the representatives of its civil and church authorities are the participants in the introduction of the Law of Vinodol.
A castle belonging to the Frankopans is fitted in the town wall perimeter at the highest eastern peak of the plateau. It is fortified also towards the town area as the last but one stage of defence, and in the centre is placed a square defence tower. The dilapidated structures of the town have preserved rare Gothic fragments, and the walls show the style of Romanesque provenance. One partially preserved building fit for reconstruction is a Romanesque-Gothic church of St. Stephen, with barrel-shaped and ruptured vaulting with semi-circular and pointed semi-vaults. The bell-tower was a part of Gothic town gate, before its collapsing.
The historical circular cemetery in a funnel-shaped hole in the limestone, enclosed in a thick wall, is obsoletely picturesque with the ruins of the chapel of St.George dating from the 18th ct., which is placed in the middle. It is important mentioning the Gothic reliquary of St.Ursula, a woman martyr, dating from the 14th ct., which is kept in the new parish church.
In the time of the Turkish danger from 1530. until the beginning of the 18th ct., the town was a bulwark on the line of Turkish penetrations towards Furlany. It was abandoned at the end of the 17th ct. when it lost its importance significant against the Turkish regulations. The present village has only several etnographically valuable housings with roofs which have already lost their traditional covering with shingle and planks.
|The Town Of Novi Vinodolski|
© Ineco, 1995./2005.