The settlement Grižane is situated under vertical rocks - "griže", which are overarching it. The wider area rich with water and cultivable land and sheltered by the mountain, was inhabited in as early as the Bronze and Iron Age.
Above the town are situated the remains of former castle Grižane, at a terrace of a steep 250 m high cliff. In the period of the Frankopans the castle Grižane has an important strategic position in Vinodol. According to the preserved remains it is evident that the town had an irregular square shape, with round towers at the corners. The town was damaged in the earthquake which occurred in Vinodol in 1323., so it probably got its present look already in the 14th ct. Just several years ago the remains of the walls were still resisting the time. We have even less left today, after the whole south side glided from the rock and turned into a cluster of stones.
The parish church of St. Martin is situated in the town, originally a one-nave building with a bell-tower at the front. It was expanded according to the project of V.Rauscher from 1906. The church got two aisles and in that way lost the sense of local traditional Gothic architecture and gained characteristics of historicism. Valuable exemplars of Gothic and baroque altar equipment are kept in the church treasury. To this treasury also belongs the church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of snow in Belgrad, the former chapter residence.
The big master of miniature painting, Juraj Julije Klović (1498-1778) from Grižane, obtained inspiration from the Glagolitic alphabet, what represents a particular art phenomenon.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.