The settlement came to existence and developed in the location of the former Roman station "Ad Turres", and it was named after Holy Mary`s church (crikva), constructed in the 14th c at the mouth of river Dobračina. The Frankopans, the rulers of that district, renovate the church in 1412 and erect a monastery which was then inhabited by the Paulist monks.
The roots of Crikvenica`s origin arise from Badanj and Kotor, its oldest settlements, from where the inhabitants descended towards the sea in the 18th c. The town is mentioned under its present name for the first time by the end of the 14th c, as "the port of Grižan". From its original core around the port, classy houses and warehouses and the monastery, Crikvenica spread in two directions along the roads to Kraljevica ad Selce. Turism after 1900 gives the biggest impulse to architecture (hotels, villas, parks), when Crikvenica quickly develops into a touristic centre and a health resort.
The construction of villas began in the area of private hotels, after the park by the coastline had been arranged, after "Nadvojvoda Josip" hotel (today "Therapia") was built following the plans of architect S. Hofler from Budapest in 1897. Hofler is the author of Crikvenica`s town plan as well. Architect Rimanuczy constructs "Miramare" hotel in the Secession style in 1905, and this construction has continued till the present day.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.