The settlement developed from a fishermen`s port and olive-groves, which were the property of the inhabitants of Tribalj valley. The remains of Liburnian hill-fort are situated above Dramalj. The amphorae found near Kačjak tell us about the existence of a port here in the Roman period. In the direction of Jadranovo there is a site called Kloštar, probably a Benedictine abbey. The Church of Sta Helen is situated in the town`s square, which replaced the old chapel after 1812. Its stone sanctuary was made by Giuseppe Capovilla, a stone mason from Rijeka. The parish was founded in 1809. The interiour was furnished in the 19th c, the pulpit in 1837, and the altar and pall in 1845. There is also an olive press preserved in Dramalj.
Selce is a little coastal town situated in the central region of Vinodol`s littoral. The harbour of Liburnian hill-fort was situated here in the prehistoric times. The fort was located on hill Sv. Juraj which stands near the road leading to Bribir. The remainders of impressive stone wall are still visible on a strategically chosen spot. The Chapel of Sta Catherine dating from 1498 was recently explored and salvaged (R. Starac). A semi-urban settlement gradually developed around the chapel, with yards encircled with stone wall, along the narrow street "kala". The Romans benefit from the advantages of the port, and they build a station near the spring by the seacoast for the exchange of horses and ship cargo purposes. The remains of antique architectural complex with water reservoir, dating from 2nd c AD, were discovered in locality called Podmirišća. Amphorae from the 3rd and 4th c were found in the port and in cove Jasenovi. Tradition has it that the locality called Kloštar was once a site of a "monastery of Greek monks", probably an early Christian complex. The historical core of Selce has been preserved till today, in spite of the onset of the touristic building up. The parochial church of Sta Catherine was built in 1888.
Lončarić House - Selce
Lončarić House consists of a residential building and a ruined edifice near that building, both are enclosed in a stone wall. It is assumed that the housing was erected around the middle of the 19th c. Although the house and the yard have suffered substantial changes in the course of the time, this architectural complex, though of degraded value, gives evidence of a traditional organization of space in the region of Vinodol, and it presents nearly the last example of such an architecture in Selce.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.