The settlement Belgrad is situated on the narrow line between fertile valley and rocky ground. In 1462. it was donated to the Paulists of Crikvenica, and in 1463. the chapter of diocese Modruško-krbavska situated in it and in neighbouring Grižane. The historical data go as far as the beginning of the 19th ct., and it is one of the few rural settlements of the Croatian Seaside (Hrvatsko Primorje) where the historical continuity can be followed.
In the western part of the settlement were situated the houses of the canon of the Vinodol chapter, and the eastern part belonged to bondmen, so it appeared like a part of town under the western side. A road reaching to the castle of Grižane goes by the houses. This castle is called Belgrad in a folksy manner. The ruins of the old chapel and several Glagolitic inscriptions can be found in the village.
The church of St. Mary of Snow is situated on a plateau above Belgrad. The entrance to the church leads through the bell-tower, and just above the entrance there is a somewhat longer Glagolitic inscription which speaks about the building of the church and its constructors. It is evident that the building was ordered by priest Mikula Mužević, and the sanctuary was built by Baštjan Brinker, as well as "other good brethren and assistants of this holly mother church, who helped with their exertion and fortune".
In 1640. annexes were built to the church and it was extended , the new sanctuary was directed to the northern side, and the former one remained as a chapel to the right side of the entrance. A bell-tower with double windows and two floors was built at the same time. The old chapel from 1611. was built into the new church. The altar is dating from the end of the 18th ct.
The inhabitants of Belgrad have emigrated, therefore the village is empty today.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.