CHURCH OF STA. JUSTINE is a Renaissance building erected on the place of the former Early Christian basilica of St. Thomas. The church was built for the Benedictine nunnery in the 16th c. The convent was designed for popular nuns of a Benedictine order, and it was repealed in 1808 during the French rule. The nuns were moved into the monastery of St. Andrew, meant till then only for patrician daughters.
The church bell-tower was built in the 17th c., and it is the youngest bell-tower in Rab, but it looks nicely adapted among the other three bell-towers.
The church is today adapted into a museum of sacral art, and there are works of art from the cathedral's treasury (portable cabinet with Apostles' figures - a present from king Koloman; evangelistary dating from the 11th c.; polyptich by P. Veneziano; Tuscan Renaissance terra-cotta of Our Lady with the Child from the 15th c.; altar pall from the 11th to the 13th c.).
THE ISLAND OF RAB: Position,
© Ineco, 1995./2005.