This region has been inhabited from the prehistoric times in continuity, what is witnessed by archaeological finds of stone tools, prehistoric castles, Greek and Roman settlements, what is evident from a number of terms and the name of Punat as well (pons – Lat. bridge). The inhabitants employed mainly in agriculture, cattle breeding, olive growing and wine-growing, but also in maritime affairs. According to the oldest known data from 1603, Punat had as little as 100 inhabitants. The first stronger impulses emerge in the second half of the 19th c, with the development of wood and wine trade, which had an impact on the development of maritime affairs, thus came the establishment of the first shipyard by the end of the 19th c. Punat had a little over 1000 inhabitants at that time. By the beginning of the 20th c. the mill and the pasta factory began operating, and later oil refinery in the tradition of old olive mills, also the screw factory right after the WW2, and until the last decades when the first and the biggest marina (800) in the eastern Adriatic was built. All of these indicate the continuity of development in this region.
The development of tourism changed the habits in particular, the structure of inhabitants and it also made it possible for a new kind of profitable business, so that this area springs out into the centre of nautical tourism. The geographic features, with the diversities of karst landscape and fertile lands interchanging with the sea shore and the clean sea, and the riches of historical heritage, which could enrich the touristic offer through an adequate assessment and reassessment, are all the comparative advantages of Punat District.
PROTECTED CULTURAL ASSETS
Village settlements (rural units):
Archaeological and underwater archaeological zones and localities:
Ethno-zones and ethno-monuments:
| Home | Archaeological And Underwater Archaeological Zones And Localities | Village Settlements | Ethno-Zones And Ethno-Monuments |
© Ineco, 1995./2006.