The name of this settlement comes from fields, little fields and it points out that the population was occupied mostly with cultivating land. Njivice is first mentioned in the grant of prince Ivan Frankopan from 1474. Graves constructed of brick were found near the church, and the walls, probably Roman or Greek, are visible underneath the church. All of these indicate Njivice being a comparatively old settlement.
Today's Church of Virgin Mary in Njivice was constructed in 1905., on the spot of the former Chapel of Virgin Mary of Childbirth, which was the property of Krk's Frankopan princes.
A breakwater was constructed in Njivice between 1902 and 1905. Due to assessing conditions for putting larger ships to shore, this area becomes attractive for the large-scale tourism. At the turn of the 19th c., with the appearance of first tourists, the picture of the whole Omišalj region gradually changes. With the arrival of Austrian, Hungarian and the aristocracy from Rijeka, as well as other wealthy men in search of quality hunting-ground, the development of tourism begins. An important event recorded is the arrival of Austrian heir to the throne - Rudolf of Hapsburg, who visited Njivice in the 80s of the 19th c.
Important Buildings |
© Ineco, 1995./2005.