Among the important buildings in Omišalj, several of them are standing out: the parochial Church of Virgin Mary's Assumption (Stomorina), the bell-tower, the town's lodge, St. Anthony's Chapel (16th c.), Gothic Chapel of Sta. Helen (1458), the ruins of Prince's Palace (14th-15th c.) and a residential building Pančerov with Gothic architectural details (15th c.).
The Church of Virgin Mary`s Assumption (Stomorina)
A particular monumental value lays in the parochial Church of Virgin Mary's Assumption (Stomorina). We are not informed of its beginnings, but it is estimated that it originates from the 12th c. It is constructed as a vaulted-over three-nave Romanesque basilica, which was repeatedly rebuilt and annexed in the course of the time. A dome and a quadratic choir stalls were annexed in the 16th c., and in the 15th and 16th c. a line of chapels. In the 16th c. the church had as many as 18 altars. None of them is now existing. A window rosette with a Glagolitic inscription is situated at the front, a work of "master Sinog", which was implanted in 1405. In the portal lunette there is a relief depicting a cross and palms in a pre-Romanesque manner. The church has a possession of Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque furniture, and on the altar of the Sacred Heart there is a wooden triptych of Jacobello del Fiore, dating from the 15th c. According to the old Christian custom, the cemetery was situated by the parochial church, so that the area near the church is still called "Smitir".
The remains of the residential house of family Pančerov
The bell-tower is separated from the church, and it was constructed from 1533 to 1536 by native masters: Pere from Omišalj and Andrej from Kotor (of Vinodol). The bell-tower is made of dressed stone, like the church, while the dome is made of sheet metal.
Parochial church bell-tower
The town's lodge was constructed in the 16th c. at the period of Venetian domination. It is situated at the eastern side to the bell-tower, being viewed from the square. It served as a courthouse, the market-place, place for citizens' meeting, for political conferences, public auctions, advertising etc.
The Gothic Chapel of Sta. Helen, situated in the square of Omišalj, was rebuilt on several occasions. It was renovated in 15th c. by Nikola Bozanić, and by the beginning of the 20th c. it was restored with the gifts of Omišalj's inhabitants.
In the historic core, "Na Dupcu", there is a Romanesque Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua with a lodge, which is, together with a brotherhood bearing the same name, mentioned already in 1685.
of Padua, with a lodge
In the Omišalj surroundings there are several distinctive sacral edifices and also some ruins which tell a story of continuous settling in these regions. Beyond the town's walls there is the Chapel of Sta. Helen "Na Dolu", mentioned for the first time in 1603. Its remnants (the apse, respectively the northern wall) are today visible in the middle of the settlement.
At the locality called "Na Vozu" stands the Chapel of St. Joseph from 1784, which was erected by the Venetians, so that the tuna fishermen could perform their religious duties in it.
Near the lake called "Na Glavah" the Chapel of St. Quirinal once stood, and a former Chapel of St. Cyril, from which toponym Kurilovo derives, is located on Ert peninsula.
On the islet Sv. Marko there are the ruins of the Venetian fort, the remains of which are visible even today. At the time of Venetian dominance the fort had a permanent garrison which guarded alertly so that none of the pirate vessels of the fugitives from Senj would enter Kvarner.
On an elevation above the small bay called Pesja, on a solitary high ground dominating the central area of the bay, there are situated the remains of a medieval fortifications, bearing the name of Gradec or Fortica.
Archaeological Zones And Localities
© Ineco, 1995./2005.