Moscenice is the city with its own past, from the prehistory. On this area of northeastern Istria lived Liburnians in the prehistory, one of Illyria tribes. Because of that tribe, this area is still toady most often called Liburnia. Liburnians were cattle breeders and skilled seamen, who with their characteristically fast rowing boats made many troubles even to Romans, known as seamen and fighters. This is the reason why the Roman army included in its war fleet their boats - liburns.
At the beginning of our era, the Romans conquered the entire Istria, submitting Liburnians under their authority. They founded new cities, but organized their administration in existing Liburnian settlements. In 7th century Liburnia is settled by Croats. Hundred years later, Franconians conquered Istria, while Liburnia became part of the State of Croatia, which reached culmination of its power during reign of the King Tomislav (910-930) and Petar 4th Kresimir (1058-1074), stretching along sea coast from the river Cetina in Dalmatia up to the river Rasa in Istria.
After fall of Croatia, at the beginning of 7th century, Liburnia, and by that Moscenice, became part of German empire. Since then Moscenice were for long time, until the beginning of this century, under foreign authority.
The first authentic records about Moscenice as the independent community on the territory of Kastav estate goes way back in 1374, mentioned in the Testament written in German by the Count Ugona of Duina, but also in Glagolitic-script from 1395, by which boundaries were determined between Moscenice and Kosljak. Owners of Moscenice were Polish bishops, Counts of Duina and Walse Counts. In the second half of 15th century Walse Counts transferred their estate in Liburnia in favor of the Hapsburg Czar Fridrich 3rd.
In the period between 1637 to 1773, direct owners of Moscenice were Jesuits of Rijeka. In 1637 Moscenice was awarded the City Statute. Public documents, feudal laws, notary records and statute from 14th to 17th century were written in Croatian but in Glagolitic-script, which on the territory of Istria and Kvarner experienced the largest application and blooming.
Historical 1848 was crucial in the final resolution of feudal relations on the greater territory of Europe, when the modern period even for Moscenice began, although the area of so called Liburnia reminded until the 1st World War, except for the period of Napoleon Illyria at the beginning of 18th century, part of Austria, or from 1867 Austria-Hungary Empire
Moscenice became in 1896 the center of the independent municipality, however, it also experienced the destiny of other Mediveal cities - its inhabitants started to go down by the sea and create core of new settlement, Moscenicka Draga.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.