The monastery of Franciscan Tertiary Glagolitic monks is located in the western part of the cove of Dubašnica, near a village called Porat. The monastery complex has a «U» shaped ground plan. All buildings are one storey high. From the lateral side there is a longitudinal church of St. Mary Magdalene with a quadrangular apse and two lateral chapels.
A small chapel of St. Mary Magdalene which was donated to Tertiary friars by prince Ivan Frankopan in 1480, once stood in this place in the 15th c. It is presumed that Tertiary friars started building the monastery next to the chapel in 1850, which was subsequently enlarged for the purpose of liturgy. The exact date of building of the monastery is disputable for there aren`t any documents left after the monastery was burnt down. The church of St. Mary Magdalene was consecrated in 1557. In 1556 Gerolamo Francesco da Santa Croce has painted the polyptich for the main altar of the new church. In the sancturary there is a marble baroque altar from 1730. The church has two lateral chapels with corresponding altars. The left chapel has an altar dedicated to St. Nicholas, and the right one to St. Rok.
The monastery has kept its present features since the 18th c. In 1850 a large mill and a press for the processing of olives was built in the monastery. It has been preserved in its original shape up to the present day. At the turn of the 20th c, the monastery and the church were renovated, and a representative museum was open in the basement, displaying the life of Franciscan Tertiary monks through history. The monastery possesses architectural values characteristic of this kind of sacral structures, as well as a cultural-historical significance because of the Glagolitic script that was once fostered here.
| Home | Historical Development | Archaeological Zones And Localities | Town Centres |
| Village Settlements | Ethno-Zones And Ethno-Monuments | Significant Structures |
© Ineco, 1995./2006.