From Lovran to Opatija, and further to Volosko there is a 12 km long promenade next to the sea. Following that line from Lovran to Ika, the most beautiful villas of Lovran are situated along the promenade, in luxurious parks with exotic flora. They were built at the turn of the 19th c. as willas or holiday houses of noble and successful rich families of the time.
Chapel of St. Nicholas
At the entrance to Lovran, near the main road there is a chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas. Its present condition probably dates from the 17th c. and an annexe from the 20th c. Possible remains of earlier Gothic structure are located in the foundations. A Gothic bell tower is preserved.
"VILLA FRAPPART" - "VILLA FRAPPART" - ex SAN MICHELE, family summer house
The villa was built (1894-1905) following the project of Karl Seidl and Karl Coningh. It was named after its first owner, a solicitor from Wienna dr. Michel Ruault Frappart. It was the first structure built to the north of Lovran`s harbour i.e. on the terrain which touristic society "Qvarnero" purchased with the purpose of touristic exploatation. The villa has a playful ground plan (long access portico, garden portico, terraces), with magnificent architectural modelling, the choice of decorative details and precious materials. At first impression there is an influence of Venetian floral Gothic, with regard to style characteristics, the forming of the front and in the interior.
"VILLA SANTA MARIJA"
The villa is situated by the sea, and is divided from the sea with a beautiful spacious park. It was built in 1895 following the project of Karl Seidl, for Ritter von Scharmitzer, the owner. The building consists of ground floor, basement and a first floor from the sea side, while on the opposite, western side it is constructed as a low-rise house with a loft, due to land configuration.
With its location within the landscape, the preciousness of materials of which it is made, the exquisiteness of decorative elements on the exterior as well the interior, the object represents a type of luxurious villa - pallace. The general impression leaves a sense of the influence of Tuscan manner of building (protuberances on the facade), Venetian Gothic (treatment of the exterior and stone details), and neo-Renaissance style characteristics (semicircular window apertures on the ground floor, garden portico, etc.).
"VILLA MAGNOLIA"- ex "Villa an Nicolo"
The villa is situated in the vicinity to the sea, that is, above the coastal road, surrounded with luxuriant, high flora. It was built in 1904/1906 by Karl Seidl, for baroness Luise Klein Wusenburg. It is a large, representative and harmoniously dimensioned two-storey house with elaborate roofing and emphasized protuberances on the facade, with colourful loggias and decorative entrance portico and spacious terrace overlooking the sea, where a beautiful wide stairwell descends. On the southern end of western facade, next to the summer house there is a miniature fisherman`s house, built in the traditional ambiental style.
It is exceptionally well placed, harmonious and well-dimensioned two-storey house with high attic (built after 1906 probably by the project of Attillio Maguolo). It is made in the spirit of Venetian floral Gothic, and enriched with large terraces, balconies and loggias. The villa is one of the most valuable examples of architecture of this kind.
A large, three-storey villa (1905-1906), built according to the project of Attillio Maguolo. It is the first in the line of summer houses by the road (former "Villen Strasse"), which branches off from the main road and stretches further near the coast. The building has a complicated ground plan and good proportions, beautiful stone details of windows, cornices and balustrade in the spirit of Venetian Gothic.
The villa was constructed in 1904. It is a three-storey structure with a square ground plan, situated on a steep elevation above the wide green zone by the sea. By its style characteristics and progressive Art Nouveau decorative details, the villa stands out with its exceptional value.
A well-proportioned and well-dimensioned, three-storey villa, surrounded with a garden with tall trees. It is constructed on a gentle elevation by the western side of the street.
The main front has a playful quality with loggias and balconies which emphasize the verticality of the ensemble.
ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL - ex GRAND HOTEL "LAUREANA"
Grand hotel Laureana was built in 1909. It is a large four-storey edifice, a dominant structure in the landscape. It is situated in the park on the top of a gentle elevation, and is oriented towards the coast, which here makes a small inlet with a bathing-place. The ground plan is very regular, elongated, symmetrical and enclosed.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.