THE ISLAND OF KOŠLJUN
MONASTERY WITH THE CHURCH OF ANNUNCIATION
The islet is situated in Puntarska draga, 800 m away from Punat harbour. It has been inhabited since the Roman period. The Benedictine monks occupy the island in the 12th c., establishing the Benedictine abbey. The Benedictine abbey comes into possession of Franciscan monks in 1447 (due to Frankopanian grant). Inscriptions and a stone capital with a signature ANDREA (located in the collection of stone monuments in Košljun) originate from the 8th c.
The monastery and church complex is harmoniously incorporated in its surroundings. It consists of the monastery building, which was constructed in 1526, with a Renaissance cloistre from the end of the 16th c. and a renaissance one-nave chapel with circulary vaulted-over choir and open roofing above the nave, which was built in 1523. The Chapel of St. Bernardine is situated next to the monastery. It represents a type of a fortified chapel having a quadratic ground plan and a circular ceiling, which is rarely preserved in our country. It was built with the early-Romanesque features of the 11th to the 12th c.
The interior of the Franciscan Church of Annunciation is rich in valuable paintings of common and foreign masters. The main sanctuary possesses a polyptych of Giordano de Santacroce from 1535, on the left lateral one there is a painting of St. Francis, the work of an unknown master, and on the triumphal arch there is a momentous composition presenting the Last Ordeal, oil painting, the work of E. Ughetto from 1653. A wooden sculptural triptych is situated in the Chapel of St. Bernardine, dating from the 16th c.
In the small chapel, inside the park of coniferous wood, the fragments of crèche from the 16th c. are kept, and in the monastery museum there is a collection of products of decorative arts, icons and paintings, among which there is a painting of Krk`s master Fran Juričić (1671-1718). The monastery possesses the oldest library (1467) containing 15 000 books, incunabula, Glagolitic inscriptions and rare editions, a rich archive, a collection of stone monuments, ethnographic collection. Ptolemaic atlas (2th c.) printed in Venice in 1511, is exhibited in the Gallery of abbot Ambroz Testen.
THE CHURCH OF ST. KRŠEVAN
The Old-Croatian early-Romanesque chapel was built above cove Čavlena in 11th/12th c. (circular ground plan, three apses, dome with ceiling belts which hold the ceiling). It is one of the rare preserved monuments of Old-Croatian architecture.
THE CHURCH OF HOLY MARY AND THE MONASTERY
Once Frankopanian estate, with a country house of Krk`s princes of Frankopan, and a small family chapel, it was donated to the Franciscan Tertiary order, Glagolitic monks, by prince Ivan Frankopan.
In 1494 abbot Matej Bošnjak started with the construction of the present-day monastery complex with the Church of Holy Mary, and in 1507 the building of today`s one-nave church of Immaculate Conception started. The church has a Gothic vaulted-over sanctuary, choir and a vestry. The choir was extended in the 17th c., and the front reconstructed in 1879.
In 1557, in the time of abbot Stjepan Radičević, the shelter for pilgrims was built, located on the northern side behind the monastery complex. The west wing of the monastery was situated by the sea-coast, but it was drawn inland for 5 m, in 1879. At that period the form of the front was also changed.
The central painting on the main sanctuary (Mother of God with the Child) is a work of an unknown Venetian master, dating from the 17th c. The side paintings (St. Frances and St. Bonaventura) are the work of Girolamo da Santacroce, and the two lateral marble sanctuaries were made in 1760 by Venetian master Giuseppe Bisson. The monastery keeps paintings and liturgical accessories from the 17th and 18th c., and a collection of Glagolitic writings and incunabula.
This monastery complex has a distinctive monumental value, being a completely defined architectural unit, as well as a cultural-historical significance, due to Glagolitic script, which was used intensively and continually in this area during the centuries.
THE CHURCH OF ST. DUNAT
A smaller sacral building dating from the Old-Croatian times – the pre-Romanesque period (arround 800), with a circular ground plan and a dome represents a unique example of architecture of the time in the area of northern Adriatic.
Village Settlements (Rural Units)
© Ineco, 1995./2005.