There is a great historical value in the 1st assembly of the Croats of Kastav region, Istria, Kvarner littoral and islands, which was held on May 21st 1871, in front of St. Michael`s chapel in Rubeši, near Kastav. A multitude of 8 - 10 000 people gathered there, who demonstrated the power of their economical and political beliefs and the persistence for the Croatian word. In that way did the assembly show the unequivocal historical significance of the gathering of the Croats, and its message «Let`s get together» was short and clear.
St. Michael`s chapel is a single-nave, mediaeval Romanesque structure with a semicircular apse. Above the portico there is a distaff-shaped bell tower. A portico with classicist features was annexed in the 19th c. Humble remains of mediaeval fresco paintings are left inside the church.
| Home | Historical Development | Archeaological Zones And Localities | Urban Unit | Significant Structures |
© Ineco, 1995./2006.