Old picture postcard (panorama, Crekvina)
We supose that
on this strategically convenient site existed already in the
prehistorical time a settlement or castle.
We don't have previous data about Kastav before Kastav did not enter in the feud of the bishops of Pula, but we can presume it's significant role in the times of Croatian government from the 7th to the 11th century.
data however about the existence of Bakar originate from the
early Middle Age, the time of the Pula bishops possesion and then
of the Duke of Divine.
In the year 1399 goes Kastav to the property of the family Walsee.
This is a period of the growth of this
community, time to receive some citizens rights and privilegs,
registered in the Statute at hte begin of the 15th century. The
last of the family Walsee leaves
in testament the Kastav community to the Habsburgs
(1465) and Kastav joined the Dukedom Krain.
After this time Kastav had many other proprietors who did not reside there but Captains ruled for them over their possessions here.
Old picture postcard
For a longer period between 1625 and 1773 Kastav belonged to Jesuits, then after their dissolution Kastav became property of the government, emperors chamber, then sold to the French knight Thierry in 1784, who sold Kastav to baron Jurju Vranyczani - Dobrinoviću in 1843.
Croatian parlament annuled serfdom in the year 1848 in the time of Ban Jelacic. With this all feudal rights ceased to exist and Kastav community ceased to be a feudal property.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.