|Town walls with tower Žudika|
The mediaeval fortifications were extended in regard to a late-Roman fort, the remains of which are still left in the northern portions of the town walls, especially in the lower zones of the supporting walls of Crekvina. Mediaeval Kastav was defined with town walls with nine towers. Some of the towers, like Žudika and Malinica in the northeastern perimeter of the settlement, are considerably well preserved, two in the western side were readapted into residential structures, only their ground plan is preserved, while the other towers are fairly damaged. The fortification walls are best preserved in the eastern and northeastern part of the town. The remaining walls, when they had lost their defensive function, were incorporated into residential architecture in the 18th c.
At the southern access way to the town, there is the main town`s gate, incorporated into fortification system. In its today`s shape, the gate has a semicircular pinnacle and a frame made of stone cubes, and it dates from 1768, during the time of Jesuit order.
A three-nave church of St. Helen was renovated to a greater extent in 1709, and it is presumed that it was erected in the place of an older, perhaps an Old-Christian church (VI. c.). The church is a baroque structure with a tall separate bell tower (1724), which dominates town`s vistas. The church holds precious baroque altars and a baptistery from the 18th c, as well as carved choir pews from the 17th c. In front of the presbytery, behind the main altar there is a chapel of All Saints, where the first family vault of the first Jesuit captain Benedikt Sabatini was built in 1634. He is resting there, as well as other Kastav captains with members of their families. The vaults of district prefects of Kastav are situated underneath the southern isle of the church, in the stone floor covered with arcades and vaulting.
It is a regularly oriented one-nave church with a rectangular sanctuary and a distaff-shaped bell tower. It is situated in the northern part of the central town`s square – Lokvina. It was erected at the turn of the 14th c. or by the beginning of the 15th c. as a court church of the family Walsea, who were the rulers in that period of time.
The church has two portals, both located in accentuated rectangular zones of the wall. The front is closed with a distaff-shaped bell tower, constructed with chiseled stone. The interior walls of the nave, a pointing triumphal arch and the similar sanctuary ceiling, are all covered in considerably damaged fresco paintings with Glagolitic inscriptions.
View from the south, a part of the western front
A part of the northern entrance, the southern entrance
The Castle was built supposedly in the time of the Wallsee familiy for the "Kastavian captains" who governed Kastav for this family. Similarly to other buildings in Kastav this was a simple, modest house. G.Cobler quoted that the Castle for a long period existed without it's principal function, captains and vice captains being settled in a nearby house.
In the first years of the 18th century in times that Kastav was in the hands of Jesuits, Carlo Martinuzzi, architect in the Dukedom of Krain, received the task to project a new Castle at Zudika for Captains and their crew.
This project was not realized because of the cost of such an undertaking.
The Castle was at Kastav Captains disposal up to year 1773 when the property changed to the government and the year 1784 when it was sold to French knight Thierry, then he sold it to the last proprietor J.Vranicani-Dobrijevic in the year 1843.
The Castle was adapted later for the public school and the workers school. It is visible that the Castle was in a way reconstructed adding some parts. It is not to exclude thar the southern front of the building was connected with the towns wall looking to the sea (R. Matejcic: Building inheritance of Kastav, Proc.Kastav, II/1981,pp.71.).
Entrance at the square, the well at the square
Captains residence is a not fully researched, modified castle. This is a big two-floor building which in relation to surroundings seems to be a more modern construction. Castle was a residence for captains who in the time of Wallsee family governed Kastav in the name of the proprietors. Present appearance is the result of numerous reconstructions and adaptations for the needs of there resident schools and now for the Kastav townhall. The castle serves two kinds of functions, the southern part operates as a hotel, and in the northern part there are the administrative offices of Kastav.
It is situated in front of the entrance to the historical centre of the town, not far away from the Municipal Loggia. It is a late-Gothic building, constructed in the 15th c. Only a rectangular nave is preserved out of its original features. The edifice was considerably renovated in 1805, with an inscription on the front mentioning the date. After the renovation in 1854, the building was thoroughly reconstructed in classicist style (the portico).
|Kastav, the church of st. Lucy at the cemetery||The church of St. Lucy – window detail|
The little church is situated at the cemetery at the foot of Kastav. It was probably constructed in the 15th c., as the most of chapels in the vicinity. It gained its today`s shape in 1886, in a wave of renovation in the neoclassicist style in this area. The renovation is dated with the help of an inscription on the front of the church. Only a semicircular apse is left from its original features. In front of the church there is a neoclassicist portico with six columns and a gable roof. The bell tower is distaff-shaped for two bells, constructed in fine chiseled stone.
is a Gothic single-nave chapel with an emphasised semicircular apse, and was constructed in the 15th c. It is located next to the road leading form the villlage towards the Calvary and the cemetery. The interior is painted in fresco paintings which are fairly damaged due to following restorations. In the northern wall there is an embedded Glagolitic stone inscription with the date of April 16th 1453, probably telling about the consecration of the church. The year of 1837 was inscribed in Arabic numerals later on, in the mentioned inscription, probably denoting the time of the first significant renovation. The inscription above the front portal denotes the second larger renovation from 1875, when the church gains a neoclassicist portico and a distaff-shaped bell tower identical to the one with St. Fabian and Sebastian. In the church there is a wooden sculpture of its patron saint from the 15th c.
| Home | Historical Development | Archeological Zones And Localities | Urban Unit | Memorial Localities |
© Ineco, 1995./2006.