The first data about the Roman findings in Kastav were given by J. W. Valvasor in his book «The fame of the Duchy of Carniola», and much later by Matko Laginja. There are some other reports of Roman and prehistoric findings at the foot of Kastav walls. Radmila Matejčić, who was researching Liburnian limes beneath the walls, taking the stated data into consideration, has oriented the excavations towards the karst valley called Mišinac, in the northeastern part of the town, where, indeed, a prehistroric necropolis was found. Just one skeletal burial was found in situ, oriented from west towards east, and larger fragments of jewellery: Gnathia pottery, amber necklace, a huge number of small and large bronze and iron buttons, etc.
The remnants of an unfinished baroque three-nave Jesuit church of Assumption of the Virgin Mary are situated in the utmost northern part of the old historical centre of Kastav. There was a smaller dilapidated chapel bearing the same title that was replaced by this baroque church. In 1769 started the building of the church of grand dimensions in relation to urbanistic matrix of the mediaeval Kastav, during the period of trading and economical flourish of this region, due to Rijeka being proclaimed “a free harbour”. The building was stopped in 1773, when the Society of Jesus was abrogated. Only a part of the sanctuary is preserved, built up to the roof, and the western lateral wall up to the cornice. It is assumed that the construction was terminated at that point.
| Home | Historical Development | Urban Unit | Memorial Localities | Significant Structures |
© Ineco, 1995./2006.