Central part spreads over the part of Gorski Kotar where there are the two most important roads: King Charles and Louise Roads, and railway. That are was life structure around which the biggest towns of Gorski Kotar developed: Vrbovsko, Delnice, Skrad, Ravna Gora, Mrkopalj, Lokve i Fužine. The central part, in comparison to the rest of Gorski Kotar, has milder ground configuration with the landscape more opened and easier accessible.
CULTURAL AND HISTORIC HERITAGE
Tar’s Charter to Ravna Gora and Vrbovsko (1772), Charter of the King Joseph II to Mrkopalj (1785)
The central part, same as the other parts of Gorski Kotar, was in possession of the Zrinskis and Frankopans. Economic and spatial development was connected to the King Charles and Louise Roads, and the greatest positive changes occurred in 1785 during the King Joseph II, when by Tar’s Charter the three biggest villages located by the King Charles Road, Vrbovsko, Ravna Gora, and Mrkopalj were awarded the status of privileged and free king’s trading centers. They had their own administration, magistrate, and tribunal, and serfs from those three villages became free citizens.
Delnice - panorama, Parochial church St. John the Baptist, House Rački
Delnice is located by the crossing of the most important road directions of Gorski Kotar. The settlement was built by this region’s natives, the Zrinskis serfs of Lucicans or their descendants, at the location of present downtown Delnice, where there was an old church. The history of Delnice is reflected by two objects located in the center part of the settlement: parochial church St. John the Baptist, which is mentioned for the first time in the 17th century, and family House Rački, built most probably in the middle of the 19th century. Present parochial church St. John the Baptist was built by Delnice priest Nikola Car from 1825 to 1829. It is a simple three-edge building with multi-angle holy place and a tower located in front of the entrance. The main and two side altars are constructed in late Baroque style. Family House Rački is a typical peasant architecture of Gorski Kotar, characteristic for Delnice region. In consideration of way of building and ground plan, this construction is continuation of a peasant log-cabin of the oldest type.
Velika Lešnica - panorama, ambiance, Promise church Our Lady of Lesnica
Etno zone Lešnica encompasses villages Velika Lešnica and settlements Mala Lešnica with surroundings.
Velika Lešnica is located at the low slope, in the immediate background of forest and mountain juncture Dragomalj. The settlement is of spinal type with central area and dominant position of the church located at the end of the settlement. Promise church Our Lady of Lesnica is an Baroque construction covered with roofing tiles, earlier shingle, with a massive tower located on the northeast porch.
The houses are for living and rural economy, built from wood (originally from logs and stones), plastered in white, semi-inclined roof, until recently covered with shingle. At the entrance of the settlement there is one fountain with water from the nearby spring.
Parochial church St. Maria Magdalene, Castle of the Zrinski - Brod na Kupi
Brod na Kupi is a small dwelling located 600 m above sea level, at a valley of the upper flow of Kupa. At this place, on the way from Croatia to Kranjska was passing over Kupa by a boat (“rafter”), as early as the 15th century open type settlements were built, of simple orthogonal planimetry. In the middle of settlement the Zrinskis built their house, three floor building with square ground plan, and around it (now torn down) outside fortresses. The Castle of the Zrinski in Brod na Kupi dates way back in 1651. It was built by the Duke Peter Zrinski, perhaps at the place of older castle of Zrinski family after 1577 or even older Frankopan castle from the 15th century or later. The castle represents one type of construction which connects fortification function with living one, and belongs to type of fortress-palace.
Immediately behind the castle, as a joint part of settlement’s old core in the past surrounded by the wall, there is a parochial church St. Maria Magdalene, which construction in Baroque style was ordered by a Croatian aristocrat Peter Zrinski. It was renovated in the 18th century, and due to fire and partial ruing in the Word War II it lost its characteristic of Baroque monument. This is a single aisle church with polygonal presbytery and front tower.
Vrbovsko - panorama, Church St. John Nepomuk
Vrbovsko is located at the east part of Gorski Kotar. It is inhabited with coastal people (Primorci), and after construction of the King Charles Road, besides families from Primorje, Istria, and Lika there are also settlers from other Austro-Hungarian provinces: Czechs, Austrians and others. Immigrants from Czech province prevailed, so that the old parochial church, built in 1755/76 was dedicated to St. John Nepomuk, and Maria Theresa donated one bell. Because of the old church was worn out it was torn down and a new, present church was built in 1895. It is a huge building, with ground plan in form of a cross, with polygon holy place, and the tower annexed by the north church wall. It was built with historic, mainly of neo-gothic forms. By the Charter of the King Joseph II of 1785, Vrbovsko was awarded its coat of arms, was proclaimed free trade center, was awarded other privileges, and thereafter develops into a “trade estate” as a basis for civilization development.
Chart from Maria Theresa (1770), Castle (palace) with the park - Severin na Kupi
Castle (palace) with the park in Severin na Kupi was the estate of an aristocrat family Frankopan. Until the middle of 17th century, Severin na Kupi was the center of the District Severin, and in 1776 it was awarded a Chart from Maria Theresa with privileges. The castle was first mentioned in 1558. It is one store building with square ground plan and internal yard and halls with arcades, and outside corner cylindrical towers. There is the part around the castle with a chapel St. Florian. Today’s Baroque palace is result of ample reconstruction made in 1803 by owner of that time Count John Oršić.
Fužine - panorama, Church of St. Antonio of Padova
On the area of Fužine there are no registered cultural monuments. From evidenced cultural monuments we can separate the church of St. Antonio of Padova, protector of Fuzine. It is built in Roman style full one fourth of the century and was completed in 1833. It is the biggest sacral objects in Gorski Kotar, with a massive tower located above the entrance, covered with pointed, rather low roof and well fitted into the settlement ambient and the surroundings. The church interior is enriched with numerous original pieces of arts.
Lokve - panorama, Calvary
Lokve was first mentioned as early as 1481, which makes us believe that it is one of the oldest dwellings of Gorski Kotar. By construction of Louise Road the town started to develop itself into traffic center, connecting trade centers from the country with the coast. Calvary with the chapel in Lokve is very harmoniously fit into the landscape and it has significant space value. The stairs go from the entrance chapel located in the town up to the chapel bowing place at the top of the calvary. At the top of bowing place niche there is a wooden crucifix.
Ravna Gora - panorama, Church St. Theresa of Avila
Ravna Gora is located on a plateau surrounded with evergreen mountains. More recent history of Ravna Gora started with construction of the King Charles Road at the beginning of 18th century. In 1785 the German-Roman King and Croatian-Hungarian King Joseph II, on bases of the special Charter classified Ravna Gora into a privileged city of their empire. The Church St. Theresa of Avila was built in 1774. The church was in its base built, while its upper part was made of wood. When in 1807 a parish was founded in Ravna Gora, the existing church was enlarged in the thirties of the last century. The church acquired present appearance by reconstruction in 1905 on basis of drawings made by Herman Bolle.
Inhabitants of Ravna Gora had two centuries ago a school, wooden plumbing, glass factories, and in 1808 they built the first sawmill - water mill. The factory for wood processing was built in 1920, when Ravna Gora got electrical current and water in each house.
Frankopan city - castle, Church of St. Antonio of Padova - Stara Sušica
In Stara Sušica there is Frankopan city - castle, situated on mountain slope, at the edge of coniferous forest. In the 19th century the castle was owned by the Count Laval Nugent, and in 1890 it was bought by Rijeka merchants Felix and Joseph Neuberger. Both, Nugent and Neuberger made on the castle “thorough” restoration in the Romantic style of their time. Existing appearance it acquired by the last restoration, made in Historicism style.
Opposite to the castle there is a smaller church of St. Antonio of Padova. Today’s building was constructed in 1874, because the old one was burnt by Turks. It is a simple construction of multiple holy places, with the tower above entrance porch.
Skrad - panorama, ambiance, church St. Antonio of Padova
At the region of Skrad only Loncaric House of Skrad is registered as an etno cultural monument, and of separate cultural monument the church St. Antonio of Padova, located by the cemetery is evidenced. It is a simple building with multiple holy places and the tower with pointed roof raised above the west porch.
Lončarić House and detail - Skrad, Church St. Isidore - Divjaki
Lončarić House is one of the oldest in Skrad and on the Louise Road, and represents a rare document of building culture in Gorski Kotar for the period of early 19th century. It was built from 1821 to 1841. It was built as one store house with treated stone of door-posts and window frames, originally with semi-inclined roof and vaulted basement.
Although Divjaki had their parish in the 18th century, present church St. Isidore was built in 1829. It is fairly large single aisle construction with multiside apsides and massive tower in front of the west porch.
Mrkopalj is mentioned for the first time in 1477, when Martin Frankopan assigned to Mikulica, son of Damjan Drozgometski. At the elevation of Fortica there were found archeological remainders of the middle-aged small church from the 14th and 15th century, which same church as Frankopans used to built for their serfs. From about 1730 the King Charles Road was passing through Mrkopalj, while in Brestova Draga there are remainders of bridge supports (columns, abutment), which was at that time the unique example of construction in the world.
By the Charter of Francis Joseph II, from 1785 Mrkopalj became a privileged royal city (trading center) with its coat of arms and seal. It has its judge and council which brings forward decisions and manage administration. In 1854 the church Our Lady of Seven Grieves was built, in which that holiday is celebrated each year.
© Ineco, 1995./2005.