|Brod Moravice region is situated at the west part
of Gorski Kotar. On the area of 3 sq km there are about
1,200 inhabitants. The settlement Brod Moravice,
located at 600 m above sea level, along with surrounding
villages and dwellings, is very interesting in historical
sense. This area is very attractive as an excursion
destination, and it also has all prerequisites to become
an etno center.
Surroundings of Brod Moravice is very reach in natural beauties. Kupa valley and a vies from the Orlovs’ rocks none leaves indifferent. Above Kupa canyon there are two more famous panorama viewing: Medveja stijena (rock) and Spicasti vrh (top). From the village of Kuti a hill Parag is raised, from which Alps massifs can be seen during nice weather.
CULTURAL AND HISTORIC HERITAGE
Brod Moravice region was in possession of Frankopan Dukes, whose captains hold their court at Ribarsko (presently Brod na Kupi), so it is perhaps a reason that that area acquired in the 19th century the name Brodske Moravice, and later Brod Moravice. This region was invaded by Turks, however they never conquered it.
St. Nicolas Church, Stone Tower Turanj - Turn
Brod Moravice was mentioned for the first time in the document of Bela IV in 1260. Although historians assert that that document was forged, it is assumed that the settlement had its significance at that time. Brod Moravice Parish, besides that of Gerovo, is the oldest one an the territory of Frankopan Estate, Brod Moravice was founded in the 14th century. St. Nicolas Church is one of the oldest church monuments in Gorski Kotar. That single aisle construction, of semi-squared ground plan with multiangle asides, is located in the center of settlement at small elevation. The inscription above the door states that the church was built in 1434, and reconstructed in 1834. However, no visible remains are left from the church built in 1434, except its location. It is assumed that someone from Zrinski family was buried under the stone stab. Stone Tower Turanj - Turn, located at the southeast side of the church, is the most significant historical feature, and its construction was ordered by the Duke Zrinski at the end of 16th century to protect this area from Turks. Turanj has three levels with movable wooden stairs and loopholes for rifles, but was altered into a tower in the 19th century.
We can find valuable heritages of rural architecture of Gorski Kotar in many settlements (Colnari, Delači-Maklen-Moravian villages and Kuti), so that well preserved village units have been awarded a status of ethnographic zones.
Delači - Žižek House, Žižek House - detail, Delač House
Village entity Delači is distinguished for its separate objects of rural architecture from 17th to the end of 19th century. Particularity of the settlement is a valuable assembly of objects located at one space, but each of them represent a cultural monument. The oldest preserved houses in the village are: Delač House, whose direct or indirect age is supposed to be several centuries, and Žižek House, which represents rural architecture of early 19th century.
entity Colnari encompasses the
dwelling with the same name along with surroundings, and
is a part of space entity of Zavrsje, located above Kupa
Valley. It consists of three former houses: one is
preserved, while the other two are ruins or deserted.
Those objects were built for living or farming, mainly
built from rocks, with two-layer roof covered with roof
tiles. Immediate surroundings consists of gardens, but
majority part is forest and arbors.
As a wider cultural and historic area formed in 15th to 16th century, the dwelling Colnari represents organization of rural area of that part of Gorski Kotar in continuity of architecture of Gorski Kotar until the second half of the 19th century. Ground configuration, toponym features, as well as environmental functions, indicate a settlement indirectly originating by forest clearance.
Etno zone Delači - Maklen - Moravian villages with its surroundings is harmoniously and consistently formed area, organized according to tradition, with eminent objects of cultural value. Particularity of the are is a typical house built from stone and wood, with the roof laid on two lines covered by boards (or roofing tiles), of semiobliqued shape and small suitable window openings and managed wooden portals.
Promise church Our Lady of “Scapular” in Moravian villages
Of sacral constructions we should point out the promise church Our Lady of “Scapular” in Moravian villages, located on a small elevation in the very settlement, built around 1600. It is a huge single aisle construction, semi-squared ground plan and multiangled apsides accompanied by a massive tower with pointed roof, located at the west entrance.
Etno zone Kuti encompasses the village Kuti with immediate agricultural surroundings. The village is located by the crossing from where the roads lead to the Louise Road towards Kupa valley and from Lukovdol towards Brod na Kupi. Until the middle of 19th century dwelling area also included a row of houses with gardens, which later on transformed into compact row of objects orientated towards the street, due to partitioning and reconstruction.
Kuti - the House Mance, house in Kuti
The houses are mostly built from stone with wooden parts of oblique roofs, which were covered with boards until the beginning of the century, and presently with roofing tiles. The House Mance, originally built in 1740, and slightly reconstructed in 1820, is an example of objects and space organization from the 18th century, and it represents the oldest rural object on the region Brod Moravice with proved date of construction.
Chapel St. Andrew
|In the wider surroundings, settlements located on a small hill Parg, above Brod Moravice, there is a vaulted promise Chapel St. Andrew, built in 1640. It is a unique architecture with polygonal apses and spinning apse like tower and one opening for the belt. It is covered with wooden board and built when plague was spread in Gorski Kotar.|
© Ineco, 1995./2005.