THE COASTAL PART OF PRIMORSKO-GORANSKA COUNTY
The coastal part of the County includes urban agglomeration of the city of Rijeka, together with the coastal part of Opatija and Vinodol with their background. In this area of 1265 sq.km. there are 254.995 inhabitants (census of 1991), respectively 201.7 inh/sq.km, what is much more in regard to the Croatian average, whereas more then half of all those inhabitants live in Rijeka (164.075 inhabitants).
According to the Law of the local government and autonomy, this coastal part of the County is divided into four TOWNS (Rijeka, Novi Vinodolski, Opatija and Crikvenica) and twelve MUNICIPALITIES (Kostrena, Bakar,, Kraljevica, Vinodolska, Lovran, Mošćenička Draga, Matulji, Čavle, Jelenje, Kastav, Klana i Viškovo)
Geographical position, natural characteristics and significant economy mark this area as a distinctly coastal region.
According to information in the Statal directory for protection of cultural and natural inheritance, in this area there are 91 monuments of cultural and historical inheritance included and can be found in the REGISTRY of immovable cultural monuments. In addition, a great number of potentially worthy cultural or historical inheritance items (cca. 200) of various characteristics is evidented.
REGISTERED MONUMENTS OF CULTURE
- Town Rijeka - STARI GRAD (OLD TOWN), NARROWER TOWN`S CORE, SUŠAK - center and TRSAT;
- Town Opatija - OPATIJA, IKA, VOLOSKO, VEPRINAC;
- Municipality Lovran - LOVRAN;
- Municipality Čavle - GROBNIK;
- Municipality Viškovo - BRNASI;
- Municipality Matulji - VELI BRGUD, ANDREJIĆI;
- Mošćenička Draga - MALA UČKA, KRAJ-donji (KRAJ – lower), ZAGORJE;
- Municipality Lovran - LOVRANSKA DRAGA;
- Town Bakar - PRAPUTNJAK;
- Municipality Vinodol - BELGRAD, DRIVENIK.
Archeological zones and localities
- Town Rijeka - BUONAROTTI ASCENT (Roman limes), TRSAT (castle);
- Municipality Vinodol - DRIVENIK (castle);
- Town Crikvenica - BADANJ, Roman remains in cove Selce-Klenovica.
Ethno-zones and ethno-monuments
- Municipality Viškovo - house SROK and house ŠIROLA-KOVAČIĆ in Brnasi;
- Municipality Mošćenička Draga - ZAGORJE, OLIVE MILL in Brseč;
- Town Bakar – partition walls in Bakar, hamlets and abandoned settlements in PRAPUTNJAK;
- Town Kraljevica – SHORE TUNA LOOKOUT in Bakarac;
- Town Crikvenica, Dolac Crikvenički - DOLAC;
- Draga Crikvenička - DRAGA SREDNJA (MIDDLE DRAGA), OLIVE MILL in Dramalj, KOTOR, OLIVE MILL in Selce, SOPALJSKA, ZORČIĆI.
- Town Rijeka – DOMINICAN MONASTERY, ST. JEROME`S CHURCH, the building of former MUNICIPIUM, the building of THE HISTORICAL ARCHIVE OF THE CITY OF RIJEKA, THEATER "IVAN pl. ZAJC", the complex of structures of ex "LAZARETTO", STONE FLAGPOLE, TOWN`S WALL in Stari grad (Old Town), building DOLAC no. 7., "PALAZZO MODELLO", the building of THE HISTORICAL AND NAUTICAL MUSEUM ex GOVERNER`S PALACE, the factory building "RIKARD BENČIĆ", the building of ex "FILODRAMATICA", THE STAIRS OF TRSAT;
- Municipality Čavle, Čavle – ČABRIJAN house, LINIĆ house, MICULINIĆ house;
- Grobnik – CASTLE AND STA. HELEN`S CHAPEL;
- Municipality Matulji, Rukavac – ST. LUKE`S CHURCH;
- Town Opatija, Opatija - ST. JACOB`S CHURCH with THE MONASTERY, building "ZORA", VILLA "ROZALIJA";
- Municipality Lovran, Lovran – ST. GEORGE`S CHURCH with THE BELL TOWER, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY;
- Town Kraljevica, Kraljevica – THE ZRINSKI`S TOWN WITH ST. NICHOLAS`S CHURCH, CASTLE FRANKOPAN
- Town Crikvenica, Crikvenica – PAULIST MONASTERY, HOTEL "THERAPIA", HOTEL "MIRAMAR", RESIDENTIAL BUILDING, Selce – LONČARIĆ house;
- Municipality Vinodol, Barci – PANČIĆ house.
- Municipality Matulji, Lipa – PART OF THE RURAL UNIT;
- Municipality Bakar, Bakar – ITALIAN CONCENTRATION CAMP;
- Town Rijeka, Rijeka – TRSAT OSSUARY;
- Municipality Viškovo, Ronjgi – NATIVE HOUSE OF I. M. RONJGOV
© Ineco, 1995./2003.