Baška is situated in the cove, at the south-eastern part of the island of Krk. Due to the configuration of the ground the settlement rises in the form of steps above the sea. Along the coastline and the harbours there are fronts of the houses, and behind them, through the dense agglomeration of the settlement, the streets thread through, whose organization is dictated by the configuration of the slope, the cuttings of floods and natural accesses to the fields and to the sea.
The older, prehistoric and medieval settlement with the original parochial Church of St. John at the Cemetery, was situated at the top of the hill above today's settlement. In the year of 1380. it was burnt to the ground by the Venetian. From than on the inhabitants descend towards the sea. In the plane by the sea, under the ground, there are the remains of the Roman settlement (mosaics, graves, fragments of architectural stone decorations).
The slopes of the cove were inhabited already in the Paleolithic, with the cave settlements, and in the Bronze and Iron Age with a wreath of fortresses.
In the ancient times the most important prehistoric castle settlement or probably several enclaves from Draga, with a rudimentary harbour, integrated through more agile or more adaptable part of the population into a coastal emporium of a classical Roman type on the very coastline. Its economical prosperity was provided by the fertile field and a local maritime, less terrestrial trade, but this unquestionable quality did not result in the raising of the settlement to the antique administrative rank of a municipium. Nevertheless, according to the numerous and very significant architectural remnants, among which an aqueduct could be mentioned, and particularly the remains of an early Christian church located around the Chapel of St. Mark almost in the centre of the cove, and with the evidence of a high quality material culture, the settlement existed by the very coast at least until the end of the 5th c.
The process of its disintegration that took place afterwards results in the withdrawing of the population into the mainland and the slopes of Draga, into already existing or newly founded agricultural farms, which in the architectural sense also gain the attributes of defense and fortification.
On the hill Sokol above Mala Luka there are the ruins of the town called Bosar. It existed already from the ancient times as a town's emporium, which, according to the found remnants of complexes of early Romanesque chapels, in the 6th c. comes alive as Byzantine castrum Korintija.
The new three-nave parochial church of the Holy Trinity of Baška was built in the 18th c., and it holds the remains of early Romanesque capitals, altar paintings from the end of the 15th c. (Last Supper - by Palma Jr., The Coronation of The Mother of God - by Franjo Jurčić from Krk dating from 1724.), and the collection of wooden and stone sculptures from 15th - 18th c.
In the surroundings of Baška there are numerous Romanesque chapels (Holy Spirit, St. Mark, Sta. Euphemia, St. George), and among them also St. Michael with a Gothic sanctuary which was annexed in 1506.
The sanctuary of The Mother of God of Gorica is mentioned from 1100., and it is consecrated in 1550. In the course of the centuries it was rebuilt many times in that it gained its today's form in 1902. The remains of the Romanesque building can be seen in the bell-tower and in the vestibule, as well as the bell and a column dating from the 16th c., which are also preserved. The altar paintings are the work of C. Medović.
| Home | The Baška District | Baška | Jurandvor | The Panel of Baška | Bašćanska Draga | Batomalj |
Galery: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
© Ineco, 1995./2005.